The Capital Bicycling Club sponsors a variety of group riding opportunities for members. Non-members are welcome to participate in one ride; after that, our insurance policy stipulates that you be a member to continue to ride with the club. You can join the club through our online registration page.
For your safety and the safety of others in your group, please adhere to the following guidelines:
Communication with Ride Leader
- If you are a new rider, please introduce yourself to the ride leader and let him or her know it’s your first ride with the group
- If you decide to leave the ride, inform the ride leader
- If you are having problems of any kind, let the ride leader know
- The Ride Leader is responsible for ride safety, so please follow his/her directions
- Helmets are required on ALL club rides
- Perform a brief safety check (brakes, tire inflation, etc.) of your bike before beginning the ride
- Make sure you have the means to fix a flat or an alternate way to get home
- Bring enough water, food, money, etc. for the type of ride you are joining
- On wet rides you should have fenders with mud flaps or ride to the rear
Group Riding Safety
- In pacelines or when riding in close proximity, ride in a straight line at a consistent speed
- Use appropriate hand/verbal signals to warn about stopping, obstacles, turns, speed changes, etc.
- Obey all traffic rules and be courteous to other riders, drivers and pedestrians
- If traffic is close to the group, announce cars approaching from the rear by yelling “car back”
- When cars are approaching from the rear, maintain a single file and, if possible, stay out of the traffic lane
- Pass other riders on the left and make your presence known when you do so
- Yield to other riders as needed
Remember that on club rides your actions reflect on the club. Please be a positive role model and ambassador for the club. Failure to abide by these guidelines may result in your being asked to leave the ride.