The Capital Bicycling Club (CBC) has been a mainstay of the cycling community in the South Puget Sound region for over thirty years. Located in Olympia, the capital of Washington, CBC is the beneficiary of an unparalleled setting for both on and off-road cycling. We support all aspects of cycling, from recreational to commuting; including bike/traffic safety and bike advocacy.
CBC has had steady growth in membership over the last few years. This growth is helping CBC make real change in our community to benefit cyclists of all types. Gateless trails, bike bridges over the freeway, statewide student driver education on sharing the road with cyclists … CBC has played a role in making change happen. Get involved. Support your club!
What do we do?
Between 2007 and 2009 we:
- Worked with Thurston County to get them to remove the ‘yellow gates’ from their part of the Chehalis-Western Trail.
- Worked with and donated money to help DNR remove the ‘huge gates’ from their end of the C-W Trail.
- Co-wrote a bill and lobbied with the Bicycle Alliance of WA to get it passed that requires private driving schools to teach a segment on driving safely with bicycles on the road.
- Lobbied with the Bicycle Alliance of WA and succeeded in getting legislation passed to require that as traffic signals are installed or modified they must be sensitive enough for bicycles.
- Paid for training 3 League Certified Instructors who together with a city of Olympia employee taught 140 people safe urban cycling skills last year. We will hold classes this year too.
- Celebrated the bicycle bridge over I-5 and the construction of the bridge over Martin Way
- Financially support the annual Bicycle Commute Contest (and have since its founding).
- Our 2 annual fund raising events help support the Bicycle Alliance of Washington
- Taught bicycle safety and help bike rodeos at elementary schools
- In winter we sponsor 4 bicycle rides a week
- In summer we sponsor 11 rides a week
- Made mini-grants to community groups for cycling related activities
- Host an annual swap meet